Thursday, January 17, 2008

Opportunities and Decisions

So I was planning on going to Nigeria for about three weeks this summer - and to be back in time to go to the Idaho Youth Summit on staff, because I missed it last year (my brother's wedding was the same week) and it's such an important experience and place for me. I believe in what that camp does and says and its really what I want to do with the rest of my life -- work with drug prevention programs for teens. At the same time, I've been a little nervous about missing a year. There will be a lot of new people I don't know, and I wasn't too fond of the new people we got a couple of years ago, and every year, things change. Idaho Drug Free Youth is always growing, morphing, improving, which is great, but sometimes it's hard to jump back in, because all your good memories are tied to the way things "used to be." Plus, I'd get back from Nigeria, be home for about 3 days, then go to camp, which is physically, and emotionally and mentally exhausting. Add jet lag, not being home for 3, 3.5 weeks, and I knew it was going to be tough, but I wanted to do it.

Then today, my stepmom in Nigeria sent this email to me:

If you are at all interested, the head of the Public Diplomacy Section wants you to be their Summer hire. I let him read your paper and he wants you badly! You would work with the unit that handles press and college student. Counseling Nigerian students about colleges and maybe some out of Lagos trips. It would only pay minimum wage, but it would be interesting and probably beneficial to the resume. At this time it could only happen if you were willing to be here at least 4 weeks, so it would mean a choice for you. I am supposed to ask/plead and get a response by next week. They have to do the work of applying for you, and if they can't have you, they don't want anyone! Think about it and let us know. This would not be the assistant secretary type of job most summer hire students get. They would create a special description to use your skills. See, you shine even from so far away. Love you! P and D

WOW. What an opportunity right? But it'd mean I'd miss camp. And be gone for over a month. But it just sounds AMAZING. Plus, I'd get to REALLY be with my Dad and stepmom for more than just a visit, it'd be more like living with them, something I haven't done since I was 13-14.

Choices, choices, choices.

No comments: